At South Coast Repertory, Leigh Silverman, who also directed the show on Broadway, has fielded an outstanding cast and a superb production team.
Review: East and West are subject to misinterpretation in ‘Chinglish’
The play begins and ends with American businessman Daniel Cavanaugh Alex Moggridge addressing the Commerce League of Ohio, using slides of nonsensically funny Chinese signs whose English translations have been comically mangled as an example of the vast gulf between the U. The action then shifts to three years earlier, as Daniel first arrives in China intent upon landing a contract to create accurate Chinese-to-English signs.
- Shadowing in Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications (Mathematics and Its Applications)!
- Data Protection Choices;
- Polymers, Patents, Profits: A Classic Case Study for Patent Infighting!
- Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing: 9th International Conference, ICA3PP 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, June 8-11, 2009. Proceedings.
Unable to speak Chinese, and with no background or understanding of the cultural forces at work, Daniel is forced to rely upon Peter an outstanding Brian Nishii , an Englishman who has lived in China for 20 years and speaks fluent Chinese. Darron L. Nancy A.
Playwright David Henry Hwang. Hwang, a Chinese-American who regularly experiences cultural misunderstandings in his own life, plays with the language barrier to create a complex comedy that examines how people from different cultures interact. In this article, Hwang discusses how he came about writing this hilarious, yet multifaceted play that has audiences raving.
- Can’t Talk Very Good Your Language.
- Understanding Chinglish: A new play tries to bridge the language gap?
- Dirty Secrets: How Tax Havens Destroy the Economy.
- Pharmacology of Endogenous Neurotoxins: A Handbook?
To read the full article from the Los Angeles Times, please click here. Source: LATimes.