Service-Learning in Theory and Practice: The Future of Community Engagement in Higher Education
New citations to this author. New articles related to this author's research. Email address for updates. My profile My library Metrics Alerts.
- Secret Lives of Great Artists: What Your Teachers Never Told You About Master Painter and Sculptors;
- FAVORIT BOOK Service-Learning in Theory and Practice: The Future of Community Engagement in Higher?
- Service-Learning - Dan Sarofian-Butin.
- Ransomed Bride: Book 2 (Brides of Montclair)?
- Measure and Category: A Survey of the Analogies between Topological and Measure Spaces (2nd Edition) (Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Volume 2).
- The identification of certain native and naturalized grasses by their vegetative characters.
- CRAMDOWN: Renegotiating Mortgages, Car Loans, Student Loans, Credit Card Debt, Taxes & Other Obligations in the Age of Wall Street Bailouts?
Sign in. Get my own profile Cited by View all All Since Citations h-index 24 16 iindex 34 Merrimack College. Verified email at merrimack. Articles Cited by. Title Cited by Year Service-learning in theory and practice: The future of community engagement in higher education D Butin.
The review of higher education 29 4 , , Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning 39 6 , , Service-learning in higher education: Critical issues and directions , Articles 1—20 Show more. Help Privacy Terms. Service-learning in theory and practice: The future of community engagement in higher education D Butin Springer , The limits of service-learning in higher education DW Butin The review of higher education 29 4 , , Of what use is it?
Multiple conceptualizations of service learning within education DW Butin Teachers College Record 9 , , Service-learning in higher education: Critical issues and directions D Butin Springer , It reports six essential findings on civic learning and civic learning outcomes based on available evidence. Making Progress? It presents comparative data on achievement over time across an array of liberal education outcomes—such as critical thinking, writing, civic engagement, global competence, and social responsibility.
The report contrasts the very positive evidence drawn from what students think they have learned with the much more sobering evidence from national tests about what students actually can do in such areas as critical thinking, writing, and quantitative reasoning.
Citations per year
It also reflects the growing evidence that how we construct the learning environment, e. Importantly, the report also offers a set of evidence-based recommendations for improving campus practice in relation to educating students for personal and social responsibility.
- THE SECRET TO HAPPINESS: How to Live a Healthy Life Mentally, Physically and Spiritually?
- In the Frame (Francis Thriller).
- Service-Learning in Theory and Practice : Dan W. Butin : !
- On Being Human: A Conversation With Lonergan and Levinas (Marquette Studies in Theology, #35,).
- Adams Grace: Fall and Redemption in Medieval Literature!
This study by Mark Engberg and Katherine Fox examines the relationship between service-learning participation and global perspective-taking. Results demonstrate significant associations between service-learning and aspects of cognitive, intrapersonal, and interpersonal development.
Research from the American Association of Colleges and Universities
Cited in A Crucible Moment, the study concludes with implications for student affairs practitioners interested in adopting a service-based model of intercultural development. This book from Dan W.
Butin founding dean of the School of Education at Merrimack College offers a comprehensive rethinking of the theory and practice of service-learning in higher education. Democratic and community engagement are vital aspects of linking colleges and communities, and this book critically engages the best practices and powerful alternative models in the academy.
What is Service Learning or Community Engagement? | Center for Teaching | Vanderbilt University
Drawing on key theoretical insights and empirical studies, Butin details the limits and possibilities of the future of community engagement in developing and sustaining the engaged campus. This paper explores promising connections between civic engagement and college access and success. Informed by theory, research, and best practices, it provides recommendations to campus leaders on how to create and sustain effective programs.
Written by the Sylvia Hurtado, the director of the Higher Education Research Institute HERI , this article discusses strategies for assessing campus climate and student learning outcomes related to engagement and personal and social responsibility. This meta-analysis summarizes evidence on a extent and types of change in participants in service learning programs, b specific program elements moderators that affect the amount of change in participants, and c generalizability of results across educational levels and curricular versus non-curricular service.